Friday, October 24, 2008

P.E. Day is Finally Upon Us

I am exhausted...can't even begin to imagine what my husband is feeling as we speak...hopefully relief in that he studied the right things and peace that it will all go as planned. He is almost 3 hours into the exam (at 11 a.m.) which will last until 5 p.m. today. I've had many inquiries as to what exactly the P.E. is and how it will impact his career. Actually, questions have been more like, "What's the big deal?"

So, here's the dealio, yo...

After getting a B.S.E.E. (Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering), you are not considered an engineer, but rather a person who has studied engineering and attained a degree in it. If you want to pursue becoming an engineer, you must take an initial F.E. exam (Fundamentals of Engineering). Upon passing this exam, you are considered an Engineer in Training (E.I.T.), and must then study under an engineer for 4 years (a.k.a. work in a close environment with practicing engineers). At that time, you are eligible to apply to take the P.E. exam (Professional Engineering). After passing the P.E. exam you are then considered a Professional Engineer, capable of making major decisions, signing drawings, etc.

All that to say the test is no light matter. Jason has been studying consistently for about 4 months, the last 2-3 of which he has devoted most of his free time doing. I commented to him at one point that with the amount of studying he was doing, he could become a brain surgeon. His reply was "Well, in some way, it's kind of the same being that we can't blow people up with the electrical systems we design." Good point. I don't think I've ever seen a more dedicated soul and I am so proud of him. He has put everything he enjoys on hold to make sure that he not only studies, but also maintains his job responsibilities and takes care of us at home.

Another person we are proud of is his brother, who graduates from college today! Go Chad! Because of the exam, we were unable to attend the ceremonies, but we know he has worked hard and diligently the past few years to make this dream come true! He deserves this huge accomplishment, as well!

No comments: